It is in the middle of packing up and then unpacking your things that you realize that you have a lot of things. I have truly been attempting to pare down my belongings as I go through this renovation. I think I am failing at the process of letting things go.
What I have let go:
- Some clothes that were too big
- some purses
- I sold some of my good china to Replacements, Inc (just 5 pieces) and put that money into my house fund
- some knick-knacks from the china cabinet
- books (I actually managed to get rid of a fair number)
- dried and artificial flowers (a huge rubbermaid container)
- an old telephone set
- VHS movies + VHS tapes (all except one)
- snow globe style music box
- I plan on selling my SuperNintendo with its games – not yet accomplished
- I plan on selling a set of water glasses that I used once – not yet accomplished
My biggest problem is my memory. If I can remember who gave it to me, I can’t seem to let it go. The only reason why one of the snow globes is going is because I can’t remember who gifted it to me so its sentimental value is gone and it has no other value to me.
Things I want to let go but can’t:
- the artificial flowers almost landed in this category. It took me several tries but I finally got them out of the house and give them to a friend
- my last VHS tape. An old boyfriend recorded it and although I will NEVER watch it, I can’t seem to give it up. Too much emotion seems to be tied into it
- a Noah’s Ark musical box. I have a thing for Noah’s Ark and a thing for music boxes. Plus, an old boyfriend gave it to me. This isn’t really a stellar piece but again…. can.not.get.rid.of.it!
- more dishes. I love my dishes so this is a tough one. I keep thinking that I might go back to hosting dinners and it would be expensive to buy back anything I sold.
- my baby books. Kylie and Piero are still reading them occasionally but soon they will outgrow them and I know I will not be able to let most of them go. I wonder if I might still have a child or maybe I can use them for my grandchildren. Say what? Talk about excuses.
How do you pare down the junk that is cluttering up your house? And just to reassure you… no…. this is nothing like the people on Hoarders. I have watched an episode of that this week and as much as I don’t like reality TV, I was glued to the TV. It completely fascinates me that people collect things to the point of filling up their house from floor to ceiling.